HOW HOME OWNERSHIP HAS CHANGED IN THE UK
- 02 Sep
The demographics of home ownership has changed in the UK due to an increase in demand but a low level of supply, which has increased the value of housing
The following shows the state of the UK housing market:
- Younger people have to wait much longer than their elders did to buy their first house, due to an incessant shortage of construction
- In 1991, more 25 to 34-year-olds owned a house, now, would-be buyers require a long wait to save up the money
- The number of houses built in 2014-15 was about 150,000, a little higher than the year before but much lower than the 380,000 houses constructed in 1979-80
- By early 2015, the average price of a house was five times the average annual wage while in 1997, a house cost a little over twice the average salary, according to Trade Union Congress
- According to the Officer for National Statistics, the average UK house cost £214,000 in June this year; £24,000 more than it was at the pre-economic downturn peak in September 2007
- Over about ten years, the average cost of a house has increased 50pc, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics
What do you think?
Please tweet comments @suppsolutions
Visit the Telegraph for more details and statistics
- 30 Aug
RECENT ANALYSIS FINDS THAT THE HELP TO BUY SCHEME HAS ADDED TO THE INFLATION OF HOUSE PRICES
The analysis of the Help to Buy Scheme revealed the following:The chief executive of Paradigm Housing Group, Matthew Bailes, said:" ... clearly, it worked well for developers, and for providers, it...
- 22 Aug
A NORTH WALES COUNCIL REVEALED THEIR WAITING LIST FOR NEW HOMES HAS REACHED BREAKING POINT
The north Wales Council revealed their waiting list for new homes has reached "breaking point".According to Clare Budden, Flintshire Council's community enterprise chief officer said:"There are...
- 17 Aug
HOMELESSNESS POLICY IS UNDER REVIEW IN A NORTHAMPTONSHIRE COUNCIL
Kettering Borough Council has amended its letters to homeless residents to let them know of their right to request a temporary accommodation review.According to an ombudsman, Michael King:"People in...
- 15 Aug
FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS HAVE CAUSED THE CLOSURE OF MANY CHILDREN AND YOUTH CENTRES
Local Government Association (LGA) made the following findings:Chair of the LGA's children and young people board, Richard Watts, said: "The reality is that services for the care and protection of...
- 11 Aug
RESIDENTS OF BUILDINGS IN LEDBURY ESTATE, SOUTHWARK, SOUTH LONDON WILL BE MOVED OUT TEMPORARILY
The buildings in Ledbury Estate in Southwark have been constructed in a similar way to Ronan Point, a tower block in Newham which collapsed in 1968 as a result of a gas explosion, killing three. An...
- 10 Aug
THERE IS A DECLINE IN THE HOUSING MARKET IN LONDON AND OTHER PARTS OF THE SOUTH EAST OF ENGLAND
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) made the following findings:Chief Economist at Rics, Simon Rubinsohn:"Sales activity in the housing market has been slipping in the recent month...
- 07 Aug
REPORT FINDS THAT PEOPLE ARE INTENSELY SUFFERING FROM LACK OF AFFORDABLE HOMES IN SCOTLAND
According to the report by "Shelter":Shelter's deputy director, Alison Watson, said:"This report shows the disproportionate impact of Scotland's housing crisis on young people and private renters who...
- 02 Aug
NEW REPORT BY THE PUBLIC ACCOUNT COMMITTEE IN WALES COMMENDS HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
The report which was put together after nine months of inquiries stated the following:Nick Ramsey, Chair of the Public Accounts Committee, said:"Generally, we found governance and regulation within...
- 31 Jul
LONDON COUNCIL URGES THE GOVERNMENT TO MAKE MEASURES TO END LETTING FEES FOR PRIVATE RENTERS
The London council say urgent action is needed because the government has not provided "a clear timescale to introduce its own measure", Letting Agent Today, reports.Last year, the government had...
- 17 Jul
A NEW SCHEME HAS BEEN PROPOSED TO DEVELOP ARTHUR STREET ESTATE IN LONDON
Wates Residential will help to deliver Orbit's proposed £73m regeneration of an estate in London, after their success with making Larner Road an award winning, 40,000-home, Erith Park, Bexley.Within...
Responding to the DWP Consultation: Housing Benefit Reform - Supported Housing "I found the event informative and timely it helped me to complete our response to DWP without which I would have struggled." S.S. - Safe House