Strategic advice & funding for housing, care & support providers

Contact us now to discuss your requirements

    Sometimes, landlords can apply to the DWP to have benefit paid to them under an APA, which can be put in place where a claimant is vulnerable or in existing debt, or if two months’ worth of arrears accrue. However, under universal credit, housing benefit is paid to tenants directly.

    According to Inside Housing, social landlords in four ‘pathfinder’ areas in the north west of England have complained of delays to APA requests, poor communication from the DWP and instances of the department failing to acknowledge requests.

    The DWP has agreed to make changes, including bringing in a standard form for APA requests.

    The NHF, in a newsletter issued on Monday, said:

    “There is an ongoing commitment to work together to learn lessons from early implementation and seek solutions before the wider roll-out.”

    A DWP spokesperson also confirmed that there will be a standard form for APAs issued from next month. He said:

    “We have listened carefully to the social housing industry, …Universal credit is currently being claimed by single people with ‘simple’ claims but will be rolled out to families in the pathfinder areas this summer.”

    Picture Source: (

    March 27, 2014 by Abimbola Duro-David Categories: Housing And Benefits

    Latest Briefing

    Introduction The National Statement of Expectations for Supported Housing (NSE) was finally published on 20 October 2020, five years after the 2015 Comprehensive Spending Review suggested regulatory and oversight changes were needed, although in 2018 the government >>>


    Customer endorsement

    Support Solutions 5th National Housing Support & Social Care Conference 2014

    The conference tackled todays issues at provider level, and provided knowledgeable people to present the workshops.

    A.L - Caraston Hall

    Quick Contact